Did you know that plants grow faster and larger in greenhouses? This #funfactfriday means a lot to our greenhouse project at the Watoto Wema Home in Nairobi, Kenya. The produce that is grown through this sustainable micro-project supplements the children’s diets with healthy produce and is also sold in the market. The profits from selling these veggies will go towards educational costs for the children. These greenhouses are changing lives! 

“Let us remember: one book, one child, one teacher can change the world.” -Malala Yousafzai

Malala Yousafzai is living proof that one person can make a difference and that education can change the world. Education is the key to unlocking a child’s potential and that’s why Kitechild’s sustainable projects like the chicken farm in India and the greenhouses in Kenya work to provide access to education for vulnerable children. Each and every one of us has the power to make real difference in the world- so let’s do it! 

(via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlbZJFlWpxY)

Our greenhouse project is growing! This is a huge agricultural project that requires skilled laborers and management. Kitechild has fundraised for the actual greenhouses and supplies,  and we’re also paying for the salaries of the workers and manager until the home starts generating profit from the greenhouses, which should be in about 8 months. Another great aspect of this project is that the older kids are allowed to participate and they get to learn valuable agricultural skills. 

Education is the key to broadening your horizons and opening up the possibilities of your life. Every child deserves access to education and the chance to follow their dreams. Kitechild knows that this is the right for every child, even if they were born into poverty or any difficult life situation. That’s why our sustainable projects like our greenhouses in Kenya and our chicken farms in India are designed to generate income that will fund educational costs. This world can be an amazing place, if we all work together! 

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. -Dr. Seuss

Photo: An older child pitches in on the maintenance of the greenhouse.

The crops are growing at the greenhouse at Watoto Wema Home in Kenya! Our sustainable greenhouse project is designed to benefit the 57 children who live there, by targeting their nutrition and education. 40% of the veggies grown will go towards supplementing the children’s diets and the other 60% will be sold in the markets. The profits from selling the vegetables will pay for the secondary school fees of the older children. We’re looking forward to the first harvest of these crops!

Good news coming from united-nations: More girls are in school than ever before! And according to unicef, if every child learns to read there will be 171 million less people living in absolute poverty. Our sustainable projects work to generate profits that are used to pay for education for children around the world, like our greenhouses and dairy cows in Kenya & our chicken farm in India. Change, not charity is the key! mdgs.un.org 

A blast from the past! A #tbt to Kitechild’s trip to Kenya in 2012. We loved getting to meet the beautiful children, like this handsome boy from the Good Samaritan Home. Each and every child touched our hearts and taught us so much about Kenyan culture. During that trip, we met with community leaders who helped us assess the most pressing needs and informed our decisions regarding future sustainable projects. We have since successfully launched 9 projects such as solar panels and dairy cows in Kenya. We can’t wait to see what the future holds! 

Mmm mmm milk! Did you know our Dairy Cow project at the Flying Kites Home in Njabini, Kenya, is not only providing milk on a regular basis to the kids, but other yummy, healthy treats such as yogurt? What’s next, ice cream? (We wish!) If you invested in this project, a big thanks from our team and the kids at the home! #milk #vitamind #strongbones #yummy #smiles #kenya #africa #farm #farming #cows #dairy #cute #healthy #health #nutrition #yogurt #icecream #food #foodie #impact #invest #giveback

X